Thoughtful Gifts for Every Kind of Father this Father's Day
Thoughtful Gifts for Every Father
The celebration of Fathers Day in the UK did not originate in the UK, but in the USA. Specifically, its origins were in Spokane, Washington, USA in 1910, but it was only in 1972 that it officially became a national holiday by law under US President Nixon.
Unlike Mother’s Day, Father’s Day for us at least tends to be a much quieter low key affair with neither my father nor father in law ever really expecting anything or making a big deal about it, however, since becoming a mother myself and watching my husband come into his own as a father, I have a huge admiration for my own father and the role he has played in my life – even more so than before. Which is why this year we at Wild & Rust want to celebrate and recognise every kind of Dad this Father’s Day on 20th June 2021!
Let's celebrate every kind of father....
Father’s Day is a wonderful reminder to celebrate every kind of father for the every day little and large things we may expect from our dads without a second thought or sometimes take for granted. The young dads, the old dads, the new dads, the seasoned dads, the single dads. The quiet dads, the strong dads, the great-at-DIY dads, the home-school dads, the cooking from scratch dads (although not my husband!) and the baking dads. The tea party dads, the sporty dads, the adventurous dads, the prefer to stay at home dads, the gaming dads, the ‘taxi’ dads and of course not forgetting the soon to become dads and every kind of dad in between!
For some Father’s Day may not be a celebration as such, but a memory of Dads that may have passed….or never been known. For some this may simply be a day of quiet reflection. For some, Father’s Day serves as a reminder of just how privileged we are to have children and how exceptionally important the role is parents play in their children’s lives, biological or otherwise. Regardless it is a tough job if not the toughest job in the world!
More so than ever the words of Ryan Reynolds on fatherhood rings true in my own experience having watched my husband transition into fatherhood. “Being a father is the single greatest feeling on earth. Not including those wonderful years I spent without a child, of course.” Ha!
My Top 10 Reasons to celebrate Father's Day:
Thinking about the amazing Daddy my husband is to our 2 young sons, here are my Top 10 Reasons to celebrate Father’s Day in a big way this year:
- For being a ‘present’ Daddy – involved in so many aspects of our sons’ lives from basic caring, getting ready for nursery, preparing breakfast and leading bath and bedtime through to school runs, teaching them to kick balls, ride their bikes and enjoy the great outdoors! David Beckham as UNICEF Ambassador famously said : “Being present with your child, that’s the greatest gift that you can give to any child, your attention.” and I have seen our sons flourish because of the undivided attention and focus my husband gives them.
- For doing everything twice! As parents of twins since birth when it was up to 28 a day, we have changed between us approximately 10770 nappies and they are not yet 2 years old! Having 2 babies with the exact same needs at the exact same time changes a person…..especially at 3:00am.
- Supporting our sons to develop their independence by providing practical and safe care in a nurturing and respectful environment.
- Committing to every moment without reservation – being in the moment with our sons no matter what else may be going on around us.
- Co-parenting with me in our child led reactive parenting approach (even if it make it more demanding on us) – working as a Team in providing our sons with the very best of ourselves every day – even when we are exhausted and sleep deprived.
- Reading 7 books in a row during story time all with sound effects and animated improvisations, never afraid to act silly, no matter what the time of day!
- Getting up an endless amount of times in the night or for taking the boys out for a walk or for simply relaxing together in the snug to allow me time to work uninterrupted when deadlines loom.
- For being a quiet and reassuring presence always putting our little family first.
- For genuinely enjoying spending time with me and our sons. “There’s no one I’d rather be with than my kids.” Ralph Lauren
- For being the very best Daddy to our sons I could ever have asked for!
A thoughtful sustainable and ethical gift for every kind of Father this Father's Day:
Whether he’s Dad, a godfather, grandfather or simply a fatherly figure worth celebrating, to make this Father’s Day a memorable day, we will be spoiling the Dads in our lives this year with these fabulous sustainable and ethical gift ideas for every kind of Dad from Wild & Rust. There’s plenty of inspiration from our Wild & Rust range, with even some ideas from our own dads themselves.
Our Signature Father’s Day Gift Box Deluxe includes one of each of the following must haves:
Because we realise not everyone will be celebrating...
We recognise that for some this year Father’s Day may not be a happy celebration, and to show our compassion and support for those not able to or wanting to celebrate this Father’s Day, Wild & Rust will (as a small gesture of quiet solidarity) donate 10% to a UK Prostate Cancer Charity for every Wild & Rust Father’s Day Giftbox Deluxe sold up to 20th June 2021.
Give the gift of organic wellbeing and goodness:
Or why not spoil Dad with a cuppa in bed on Father’s Day morning with this wonderful Lemon Grass & Ginger Herbal Tea? Lemongrass is renowned for high antioxidant and digestive properties whilst lively and invigorating Ginger adds a lovely warmth and spice.
For those looking for something a little more practical to gift this Father’s Day, we highly recommend this Hydrating Face Wash to remind Dad of the fresh scent of whipped salty coastal air and childhood memories of walks by the sea.
Or our gently cleansing and nourishing Body Cleanser, leaving skin moisturised and silky smooth with the benefits of fresh citrus fruit and Coconut oil.
For those looking for a more sentimental gift:
A framed photo is always a lovely touch and our striking and unique Kiki Photo boxes make a truly unique gift idea. Fill it with sentimental little treasures to remind Dad just how much you treasure those special memories with him.
Father's Day is about more than just the perfect gift...
But of course, Father’s Day is not just about the gifts, it is about celebrating relationships, togetherness and sharing precious moments together creating memories. Whether you are planning a meal out or cooking Dad’s favourite breakfast, having a picnic, surprising him with a family day out, a visit to the park for a lovely walk or simply snuggling up to watch Dad’s favourite film together, we hope you are lucky enough to use the day to have some quality family time.
So whatever you may be doing this year, regardless of where you may be and how you plan to celebrate, we hope you use it as a day to celebrate and treat all the great and inspiring Fathers, Dads, Grandfathers, Godfathers and fatherly figures in your life with something special this Father's Day.
Here’s to you Pappa, Dad, Dada, Daddy, Father, Pops, Granddad, Oupa, Godfather and all fatherly figures who inspire and motivate us every day! We love you!
With best Father’s Day wishes,
Bea and the Wild & Rust Team